Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Keesh's Colour Challenge #3



I have decided I really like trying out challenges - they make you think outside your comfort zone and I feel this has made me a better card designer. That being said - I really struggled with this one from Makeesha Byl. I don't know whether it's because my last couple of cards have been fairly bright or it's the hot weather, it's 38oC here in Melbourne today - that always makes me a bit grumpy - LOL.

I made this card yesterday - and really wasn't sure if I was going to post it! It probably didn't help when my 16yo daughter told me "it's not your best....but it's nice". Hmmmm - teenage honesty!! I used the Big on Spring stamp set from the Summer mini and stamped it in Chocolate Chip. I then used my ink pads and aquapainter to paint in the letter and heart. I run it through the Textured Script Cuttlebug folder and painted the heart with Crystal Effects.


After believing this wasn't going to be the challenge for me I checked out a couple of other entries - boy there's a couple of great ones! It inspired me to have another crack at it - and this is what I came up with - better than the first but still not my fave! I've used Artfully Asian and Eastern Blooms here. I have embossed the stem twice - once clear and once clear and Choc Chip - I had intended to have the back one just as a watermark - but the Versamark was still tacky when I poured the clear EP over the Choc Chip stamp (Doh!) - although it actually looks pretty good IRL! I decided to add some Dazzling diamond over Crystal Effects in the centre of the bloom as it tied in with the shine off the clear embossed stem.
I just noticed the blues look different in the photos - have raced to check and they ARE the same - must be the difference in lighting between yesterday and today!

7 comments:

Kellie said...

I honeestly love them both. Same colours yet two different cards. I really like the first one. Sometimes I think we make things that aren't 'us' but other people love them... But I think that are gorgeous Deb..xx

Philippa Petty said...

I really like these card's Debbie. Love the two stem effect. Even thought you didn't mean to do it, it came out fantastic.

Jean McKenzie said...

Wow Debbie, both these cards are lovely but think I like the second one better - it is beautiful!!

Ramona Michaluk said...

Great cards Debbie - you've done well to make two cards for this challenge - both of them equally lovely.
Love the heart and the photo corners in the first one and the dazzling flower, floral branch and ribbon in the second.
The metal eyelet just goes so well with the floral card - it's really nice. Great work!

Anonymous said...

OH Debbie, both of these are gorgeous! I couldn't pick one I like better.... You have done well with this colour challenge, and itis great to get out of the comfort zone! Thanks so much for taking the effort to play along Debbie! YAY! Love Keesh x

jacque4u2c said...

That sounds so much like what my daughter would say - and she is only 8! I think it looks great, I especially the effect on the heart.

Stamp and Smile said...

I really like them both! Challenges do get us out of our boxes as it works my mind for sure...LOL! The colors are very calming. Yes, we finally warmed up in the US. If you call above Zero a heat wave... LOL!! Hugs... Michelle :)